Chili Cheeseburgers are juicy burgers topped with melty cheese, warm chili and crispy onion strings all loaded on a hamburger bun. These restaurant-quality burgers are a comforting take on an American classic that are way too good to pass up!
There are few things better than a juicy prime burger fresh off the grill. But to top one with a pile of warm chili, gooey cheese, crispy onions, and rich Queso? Now that’s on a whole other realm of delicious, and that’s what these Chili Cheeseburgers are all about. 🙂
All of the flavors blend together in the most heavenly ways imaginable, and you get both a creamy texture from the cheeses, as well as a slight crispy crunch from the onion strings. It’s seriously bliss with every single bite!
So fire up those grills (no matter the time of year) and get to grilling up one of these lip-smacking good Chili Cheeseburgers! My only request? Make sure you have plenty of napkins on hand, because things are about to get messy. 🙂
WHAT IS THE BEST BEEF TO USE?
When making any kind of burger, you should never use really lean ground beef. Using such lean beef makes for a dry and super boring burger, and no one wants that!
For the most juicy and tender burgers ever, I recommend using no less than 15 to 20% fat beef.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU COOK THE MEAT?
Try out these cooking times and temperatures to see what fits your preference:
- Rare: cook on each side for 4 minutes at 125℉
- Medium-rare: cook on each side for 5 minutes at 135℉
- Medium: cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes at 145℉
- Well-done: cook on each side for 8 to 9 minutes at 160℉
Keep in mind that depending on the thickness of your patty and the heat of your grill, these temperatures and cooking times may be slightly varied.
TIPS FOR THE BEST BURGERS
Want the best burgers possible? Follow these tips and you’ll never see a bad burger again!
- Flip, don’t press: when grilling your patties do not, I repeat, do not press them down. This will force all of the fat and juices to come out and leave you with a dry and bland patty.
- Toast the buns: slightly toasting your buns will add a light crispiness that is just to die for. You can even go a little wild and slather on some butter before toasting. Yum!
- Let the burgers rest: after grilling the burgers, let them rest for a few minutes so that all of the juices can redistribute giving you an even more flavorful burger.
- Add cheese last: about a minute before your burgers are done cooking is when you should add the cheese. That way it doesn’t melt too much, but just enough.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHILI CHEESEBURGERS
You can never go wrong with these classic side dishes:
Garlic Parmesan French Fries: double-fried French fries topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and garlic.
Parmesan Ranch Potato Chips: crispy potato chips covered in parmesan cheese and full of ranch flavor.
Baked Potato Wedges: crispy slices of potatoes covered in flavorful seasonings that are baked to golden perfection!
Baked Onion Rings: crisp-perfection onion rings baked right in the oven!
If you liked this recipe then you’ll love these other tasty ones!
Chipotle Ranch Burgers: juicy burgers fresh off the grill smothered in chipotle ranch dressing, cheese, lettuce and tomato!
French Onion Burger: tender burgers topped with caramelized onions and provolone cheese!
Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps: classic cheeseburgers wrapped in crisp romaine lettuce.
Cheeseburger Sliders: miniature cheeseburgers with an easy method on how to prepare them!
- FOR CHILI:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 packet (1.25 ounce) chili seasoning
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained then rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained then rinsed
- FOR CHEESEBURGERS:
- 1 pound ground beef (15% to 20% fat)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Queso cheese dip (I buy the Tostitos Queso dip near the tortilla chips in grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup crispy onion strings (I buy the Fresh Gourmet bags near the salad dressing in grocery stores)
- 4 good quality hamburger buns
- FOR CHILI: Cook and crumble ground beef, in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Once fully cooked, drain grease.Add cooked ground beef and all the other chili ingredients to a large stock pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour before serving.
- FOR CHEESEBURGERS: Form hamburger meat into 4 separate hamburger patties. Season each with a pinch of salt and pepper.Cook or grill hamburger patties for 7 minutes, on each side, OR until desired temperature. Place one slice of American cheese on top of each patty the last minute of cooking.
- Place each cooked, cheese-covered patty on the bottom half of a hamburger bun. Top patty with 1/4 cup of chili. Top chili with one Tablespoon of Queso cheese and two tablespoons of crispy onion strings.Top burgers with top half of bun and serve warm. Enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!