French Onion Burgers are juicy and delicious! The caramelized onions and provolone cheese pack these burgers with so much flavor. You will want to grill these all summer long!
I decided to kick-off this week’s new recipes with an awesome burger that is perfect for summer grilling! This French Onion Burger is the most delicious thing in the world and it has the works! It’s stuffed with onion flavor, and the creamy caramelized onions and provolone cheese on top make it extra amazing!
This is probably my favorite burger we grill at our house. I am a true onion lover. I love how it gives any recipe so much more flavor. The caramelized onions pack this burger with extra flavor and they also make it so juicy!
We have been known to top our homemade cheeseburgers with crazy things. Sometimes we like to add potato chips, barbecue sauce and dill pickles. Wow is it good! You can always play around with your favorite burger toppings so you can make this your very own.
I will admit, most of the time I like mine just as the pictures show- with just the caramelized onion, provolone cheese and a bit of green leaf lettuce. It is phenomenal this way! You’re going to want to grill this all summer long!
MORE DELICIOUS BURGER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
French Onion Burgers
For the Carmelized Onions
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bullion granules
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For the Burger
- 1 pound ground beef (I like to use 85% ground chuck)
- 1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 Provolone cheese slices
- green leaf lettuce
- regular potato chips (optional)
- dill pickles (optional)
- barbecue sauce (optional)
- Start by making the carmelized onions. Thinly slice the onion. Melt butter in a large saute pan, over medium high heat. Add the onions, and stir so melted butter coats onions. Cover the pan, and tilt the lid slightly so the steam can escape. Stir onions every few minutes. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until onions are a golden color.
- While onions are cooking, start making your burgers. Place the ground beef in a large bowl. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the hamburger and then crack the egg over the top. Using clean hands, mix all together thoroughly. Form 4 patties, and then fire up the grill! Cook burgers to your liking. (We cook ours for about 6 to 7 minutes on EACH side.) Add the cheese on top when burgers are almost done. Let the cheese melt slightly, and then place burgers on a platter. Cover to keep warm.
- While the burgers are grilling, finish making the carmelized onions. Mix together the water, and beef bullion granules. Pour over the golden onions. Turn the heat to high and let the onions simmer until most of the water evaporates. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the sour cream. Mix until combined.
- To build the burgers: Take one cheeseburger and place on bottom bun, then add desired toppings. We like to eat ours with the carmelized onions and lettuce. Some great additional options are barbecue sauce, potato chips and pickles. Place top half of bun over toppings and serve warm! Enjoy!